[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Special Seminar today at 16:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Thu Jun 6 05:00:00 PDT 2019

Date/Time: Thu 2019-06-06 at 16:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Ekkehard Peik (Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt)

Title:     Optical atomic clocks with single trapped ions

Abstract: Optical atomic clocks with single trapped ions.The precision of atomic clocks improves at a rapid pace: While cesium clocks reach relative uncertainties of a few 10-16, several optical clocks based on different atoms and ions are now reported with systematic uncertainties in the low 10-18 range.  The Yb+ optical clock at PTB has reached this uncertainty, using a single trapped ion, laser cooling and the observation of quantum jumps as a spectroscopic signal on an extremely narrow electric octupole transition.  In the lecture I will discuss the principles and experimental methods that have enabled these performances. Comparisons between highly precise clocks that rely on different reference transitions allow for improved tests of fundamental physics, like quantitative tests of relativity and searches for violations of the equivalence principle.  A future nuclear clock based on the low-energy transition in Th-229 that is investigated in our group may further increase the sensitivity of such tests and promises to open new connections between atomic and nuclear physics.

IEEE Seminar