[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Colloquium today at 14:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Thu Jul 11 05:00:00 PDT 2019

Date/Time: Thu 2019-07-11 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Michael Block (GSI Darmstadt/ University of Mainz)

Title:     Status and perspective of superheavy element research at GSI Darmstadt

Abstract: The synthesis and investigation of superheavy elements (SHE) was a driving force for the foundation of the GSI in Darmstadt fifty years ago. Around that time, it has been predicted that superheavy elements in the region of Z~114 and N~184 may exist and form an island of stability. Since then, several new elements up to Z=118 were synthesized in worldwide efforts and the 7th row of the Periodic Table was recently completed. Nonetheless, we are still trying to answer the question what the heaviest element will be. As SHE owe their existence to nuclear shell effects, detailed investigations of their nuclear structure are of prime interest. To this end, nuclear spectroscopy, laser spectroscopy and high-precision mass measurements can be employed. At the GSI in Darmstadt we have recently achieved several breakthroughs in pioneering experiments on mass spectrometry of No, Lr and Rf isotopes as well as on laser spectroscopy of nobelium [1-4].

These experiments shed light on the strength and extension of nuclear shell effects, the occurrence of low-lying isomeric states, and the shape and deformation of these heavy nuclei. In my contribution, I will summarize the present status and discuss select recent results from the GSI beamtime campaigns 2018 and 2019.