[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF ISAC Seminar, Fri 2019-09-27 at 16:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Wed Sep 25 13:59:24 PDT 2019

Date/Time: Fri 2019-09-27 at 16:00

Location: isac2 conf. rm

Speaker: Prof. Dr. Mauricio Ponga (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering UBC)

Title: Developing ultra-strong and ultra-tough metallic materials with gradient nano-grained structures

Abstract: Controlling microstructural features in crystalline materials is one of the keys to achieve materials that combine mutually exclusive properties, such as strength and toughness. In this presentation, I will show the efforts made in my group to understand the generation of gradient nano-grained (GNG) structures in metallic materials under several manufacturing methods, including impact of particles at high-velocities, and surface mechanical treatments. Specifically, I will show what are the main ingredients needed to achieve GNG in high-velocity impact of particles, obtained directly from atomistic simulations.

These results are compared with experimental works carried out in using laser impact techniques of Silver (Ag) microcubes. Our results suggest that the GNG transformation happens if three factors are present in during the impact,
i) a large shock-wave stress,
ii) at least eight slip systems are available to accommodate plastic deformation, and
iii) the kinetic energy is large enough to produce severe plastic deformation.

Possible application of GNG materials under radiation environment will be also discussed in the presentation.

Presentation is part of the TISD group seminar - all interested people are welcome to join in -