[Triumf-seminars] Quantum Computing Lecture Series begins 2pm Today!

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Mon Oct 7 11:49:48 PDT 2019

Hi Everyone,

The first in a series of five lectures on quantum
computing organized by Olivia DiMatteo begins
today at 2pm in the auditorium. Speaker and topic are:

Stephan Plugge
UBC

"From Majorana fermions to topological qubits and
quantum computation "

This lecture will introduce the basic concept of
Majorana fermions and how one can use them to
realize quantum bits, gates and computations.
Particular emphasis here is on their topological
character, manifest in the protected braid and
measurement operations that generate single- and
two-qubit Clifford gates. The latter are
fundamental to quantum computation and -error
correction schemes underlying most modern
approaches to large-scale quantum computation.

After this theoretical overview, we discuss the
basic toy-model for Majorana fermions in
condensed-matter systems and how it can be
realized in actual experiments. We conclude with
an overview of the current experimental status of
Majorana fermions as bound states in topological
superconductors, comparing challenges and possible
advantages in single- and multi-qubit technology
to different qubit platforms that are discussed in
the other lectures of this series.

Everyone is welcome!

The Seminar Team

P.S. My apologies for the auto-notification not
going out this morning.  We are looking into it.
P.P.S. The other lectures are scheduled for Oct.
21, Nov. 4,25, Dec. 2 with the full list posted here:
https://www.triumf.ca/node/52