[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Theory Seminar today at 13:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Tue Oct 15 05:00:00 PDT 2019

Date/Time: Tue 2019-10-15 at 13:00

Location:  Theory Room

Speaker:   Mack Atkinson (TRIUMF)

Title:     Revisiting how the binding energies of finite nuclei relate to the equation of state of infinite nuclear matter

Abstract: The investigation of the binding energy of atomic nuclei dates back to the origins of nuclear physics. A huge success in nuclear physics is the well-known empirical mass formula constructed by Bethe and Weizsacker which accurately describes the binding energies of most of the nuclear chart. The success of this formula is largely due to the saturating nature of nuclear matter. In my talk, I will explore the connection between the empirical mass formula and the equation of state of nuclear matter using energy densities calculated using a nonlocal dispersive optical-model (DOM) which constrains a complex self-energy using both scattering and boundstate data. In particular, I calculated the energy densities of 12C, 40Ca, 48Ca, and 208Pb. In all cases, the energy densities display a radial dependence similar to the matter densities of each nucleus. Owing to the spherical symmetry of these nuclei, there is no contribution to the binding energy from their cores. Because the nuclear interior minimally contributes to the total binding energy, there is no reason that the energy in the core should contribute to the well-known empirical mass formula. Furthermore, the energy densities are in good agreement with self-consistent green's function (SCGF) calculations of infinite nuclear matter. This calls into question the degree to which the equation of state for nuclear matter is constrained by the empirical mass formula.