[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Colloquium today at 14:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Tue Nov 12 05:00:00 PST 2019

Date/Time: Tue 2019-11-12 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Ragnar Stroberg (Insitute of Nuclear Theory)

Title:     Taming the Beast, or How a systematic approach to nuclear structure can help us learn some cool physics

Abstract: For many decades, atomic nuclei have been understood in terms of phenomenological models. These models have had enormous success in describing (and occasionally predicting) data, and providing a physical picture of the inner workings of nuclei. However, it has generally been considered impolite to ask about the associated theoretical uncertainties, essentially because they are difficult or impossible to assess. Increasingly, precision measurements in other areas of physics, from neutrinos to astrophysics to searches for physics beyond the standard model, are running up against nuclear physics uncertainties limiting their interpretation. Fortunately, developments in ab initio nuclear theory over the past few decades provide a path to address this shortcoming. I will present my favorite ab initio approach, and discuss some prospects for the still very challenging task of providing systematically improvable predictions with theoretical error bars.