[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Special Seminar today at 14:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Mon Nov 18 05:00:00 PST 2019

Date/Time: Mon 2019-11-18 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Andre Sterenberg Frankenthal (Cornell U)

Title:     The Dark Side of the Force: Searching for Dark Sector Physics with Colliders and Fixed-Target Experiments

Abstract: Dark matter is one of the greatest puzzles facing physics today. Our attempts to find a dark matter particle have so far come up empty-handed, and the theoretical models that have guided these efforts for the last 30 years are increasingly suspect. We still have few clues as to its nature. In this talk, I will explore two new and complementary experimental approaches currently underway that seek evidence of a dark sector. Both methods rely on the hypothetical dark photon, the mediator of a new U(1) gauge symmetry similar to ordinary electromagnetism that could provide the bridge between ordinary and dark sector physics. One is a long-lived search for inelastic dark matter in the CMS detector, and the other is PADME, a fixed-target, missing-mass direct search for the dark photon. I will discuss prospects for the two experiments, experimental challenges, and perspectives for future dark matter-related new physics efforts.