[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Lecture Series Seminar today at 14:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Mon Dec 2 05:00:00 PST 2019

Date/Time: Mon 2019-12-02 at 14:00

Location:  Auditorium

Speaker:   Joe Salfi (UBC)

Title:     Hole spin qubits

Abstract: Interest in spin-based quantum bits in solids has greatly intensified in the quantum information community in recent years. Besides the small on-chip areas and well-understood qubit manipulation and coupling schemes of spin qubits, recent experiments have shown that spin qubits possess the longest coherence times of all solid-state qubits in isotope purified materials, from seconds to minutes. One of these materials, silicon, is the workhorse of the microelectronic industry. In this seminar I will introduce the concept of spin qubits, how they are fabricated, measured, and how logic gates are performed on them. I discuss recent efforts on hole spin-based quantum bits, which offer certain advantages for scalability, but have traditionally not possessed long coherence times. I will present our results demonstrating record-long hole spin coherence times in silicon, hole spin qubit readout in an industrially fabricated transistor, and prospects for applications of spin qubits in quantum simulators.

Lecture series on quantum computing (5/5)