[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Theory Seminar today at 13:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Fri Dec 6 05:00:00 PST 2019

Date/Time: Fri 2019-12-06 at 13:00

Location:  Theory Room

Speaker:   Sebastian Ellis (SLAC)

Title:     Direct Deflection of Particle Dark Matter

Abstract: We will discuss a novel strategy to directly detect light particle dark matter that has long-ranged interactions with ordinary matter. The approach involves using time-varying fields and resonant detectors in a two-step deflection-detection process. We will consider the application of this strategy to the detection of sub-MeV dark matter particles with very small electric charges or coupled to a light vector mediator, including the freeze-in parameter space targeted by low mass direct detection efforts. This implementation can probe dark matter masses ranging from 10 MeV to below a meV, extending beyond the capabilities of existing and proposed direct detection experiments.