[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Colloquium today at 14:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Thu May 28 05:00:00 PDT 2020

Date/Time: Thu 2020-05-28 at 14:00

Location:  Virtual Colloq

Speaker:   Kyle Leach (Colorado School of Mines)

Title:     The BeEST Experiment: A Search for keV-Scale Neutrinos in the EC Decay of 7Be with Superconducting Quantum Sensors

Abstract: Virtual colloquium on BlueJeans. Connection details see below.

---------------
The search for sterile neutrinos is among the brightest possibilities in our quest for understanding the microscopic nature of dark matter in our universe.  Sterile neutrinos - unlike the active neutrinos in the SM - do not interact with normal matter as they move through space, and as such must be observed via their mass-generated effects that result from momentum conservation with SM particles.  One way to observe these momentum recoil effects experimentally is through high-precision measurements of electron-capture (EC) nuclear decay, where the final state only contains the neutrino and a recoiling atom.  This approach a powerful method for BSM neutrino mass searches since it relies only on the existence of a heavy neutrino admixture to the active neutrinos, which is a generic feature of neutrino mass mechanisms, and not on the model-dependent details of their interactions.  In this talk, I will discuss our first measurements in the Beryllium EC STJ (BeEST) experimental program, which uses the decay-momentum reconstruction technique to precisely measure the 7Li recoil spectrum following the EC decay of 7Be implanted into sensitive superconducting tunnel junction (STJ) radiation detectors.
----------------

Meeting URL
https://bluejeans.com/393441000/9881?src=join_info

Meeting ID
393 441 000

Participant Passcode
9881

Want to dial in from a phone?

Dial one of the following numbers:
+1.778.807.4955 (Canada (Vancouver))
+1.416.900.2956 (Canada (Toronto))
+1.438.788.3021 (Canada (Montreal, French))
+1.866.599.3622 (Canada (Toll Free))
(see all numbers - https://www.bluejeans.com/premium-numbers)

Enter the meeting ID and passcode followed by #

Connecting from a room system?
Dial: bjn.vc or 199.48.152.152 and enter your meeting ID & passcode