[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Special Seminar today at 10:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Mon Jun 15 05:00:00 PDT 2020

Date/Time: Mon 2020-06-15 at 10:00

Location:  Virtual

Speaker:   Mukut Kalita (TRIUMF)

Title:     Testing parity and time reversal symmetry violation using francium and radium atoms

Abstract: Experimental tests of parity and time reversal symmetry violation allow us to test the Standard Model (SM) and search for new physics beyond the SM. In this talk I will focus on two ongoing experiments: a parity violation experiment in the francium atom at TRIUMF, and a permanent electric dipole moment (EDM) experiment in the radium atom (presence of EDM in a non-degenerate system violates time reversal symmetry) at Argonne National Laboratory. Both francium and radium are rare and radioactive and the experiments in these systems use techniques of laser cooling and trapping of neutral atoms to prepare the atoms for the measurements. I will discuss experimental methods that are in use in these experiments and show some recent progresses made in these experiments.
********

Seminar at
https://bluejeans.com/780255733

*******Students and postdocs share research at https://bluejeans.com/304423781/6167 at 13:00

Scientist candidate for fundamental physics with ISAC