[Triumf-seminars] TRIUMF Colloquium today at 14:00

TRIUMF Seminars triumf-seminars at lists.triumf.ca
Thu Oct 1 05:00:00 PDT 2020

Date/Time: Thu 2020-10-01 at 14:00

Location:  Remote

Speaker:   Miriam Diamond (U Toronto)

Title:     Searches for ultra long-lived particles with MATHUSLA

Abstract: The predictions of the Standard Model of Particle Physics have been confirmed by decades of experimental tests, yet we know it is incomplete. The observation of neutral Long-Lived Particles (LLPs) would reveal physics beyond the Standard Model, and could account for the many open issues in our understanding of our universe. Signatures of these hypothetical particles are well-motivated, appearing in various theoretical constructs that address the Hierarchy Problem, Dark Matter, Neutrino Masses, and the Baryon Asymmetry of the Universe. Current experiments, however, lack the ability to probe large swaths of LLP parameter space -- hence the MATHUSLA detector concept (MAssive Timing Hodoscope for Ultra-Stable neutraL pArticles). It can be implemented in time for the planned high-luminosity Large Hadron Collider operations, on the surface above the existing CMS detector, to search for such neutral LLPs. Its large area would allow MATHUSLA to make important contributions to cosmic ray physics as well. This talk will report on the analysis of data collected by a MATHUSLA test stand installed on the surface at CERN, along with ongoing background studies and plans for the detector design and construction.

Connection info:

https://bluejeans.com/164494421

Meeting ID: 164 494 421