[Triumf-user] TRIUMF Colloq broadcast "Observation of gravitational waves from a binary black hole merger by LIGO" (March 3rd, 2pm Pacific)

Iris Dillmann dillmann at triumf.ca
Mon Feb 29 11:52:53 PST 2016

Dear TRIUMF User Group,

on Thu, March 3rd at 14:00 Pacific we will have the pleasure to hear
from Michael Landry (LIGO Hanford Observatory) about "Observation of
gravitational waves from a binary black hole merger by LIGO".

--------
Abstract
On Sep 14, 2015, the two interferometric detectors of the Laser
Interferometer Gravitational Wave Observatory (LIGO) detected
gravitational waves from a binary black hole system. Denoted GW150914,
the signal swept in frequency from 35Hz to 250Hz, and had a peak
gravitational-wave strain of 1.0e-21. This is the first direct detection
of gravitational waves and the first observation of a binary black hole
merger. In this talk we will review elements of LIGO in the context of
the detection: gravitational waves and sources, the status of the
second-generation interferometric detectors, and the first observing run
of Advanced LIGO, O1. We discuss the detection of the binary black hole
system, and some of the physics and astrophysics conclusions that are
drawn from the data. We close with an outlook on the future.
--------

Since we think that this topic will be also of interest for our external
users, we will broadcast it via this link here:
http://mediasitemob1.mediagroup.ubc.ca/Mediasite/Catalog/catalogs/TRIUMF_Colloquium

Best regards
Iris Dillmann (for the TRIUMF colloquium team)

--
Dr. Iris Dillmann
Research Scientist, Nuclear Physics Department, TRIUMF

Office 93, MOB
TRIUMF
4004 Wesbrook Mall
Vancouver BC, V6T 2A3