[Videoconferencing] Tablet PC for loan/evaluation

Andrew Daviel advax at triumf.ca
Thu Oct 30 18:52:37 PDT 2008

I have a Lenovo X61 Tablet PC available for loan/evaluation for
meetings/presentations.

This is a tablet with a "magic pen", i.e. you can write on it in longhand
with appropriate software, and connect it to a projector of course.

I have installed Microsoft Office XP (some pen support), and PDF
Annotator. This last allows you to mark up a PDF in longhand and re-save
it as a PDF. http://www.ograhl.com/en/pdfannotator/

There is also a Logitech HD camera (works with EVO), Polycom PVX
(software H323 client), Skype, Bluetooth mouse and Bluetooth headset.

The screen is physically quite small (12") but logically 1400x1050. It
rotates to portrait mode as well as keyboardless tablet mode.

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=868

We also have a spare PVX licence, if anyone has a need for it. There's an
evaluation copy on the Web which quits after 20 minutes or so, to check
if it will work first. It's moderately resource hungry (probably won't
run on old hardware, and the sound didn't work on a Thinkpad T40).
This is H323 software by a company that makes H323 appliances, so it is
fully compatible with viewstations etc. (can even move far-end cameras).
Worth about $160.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)