[Videoconferencing] FYI - recent video dropouts

Andrew Daviel advax at triumf.ca
Mon Dec 5 16:47:20 PST 2011

FYI -

Our firewall (bandwidth manager) network interface started becoming
saturated some weeks ago, so we installed another firewall
with a 10G interface on the research network links.

However, this machine has had stability issues. It has failover
capability to the original bandwidth manager, but probably caused
dropouts on streaming audio/video in EVO and (I assume) H323, youtube
etc.

The EVO techs have disabled the TRIUMF Panda server, which would have
affected other sites in North America, until we resolve the problem.

We think we may have at least a workaround for the problem, but will need
to monitor the situation and make sure the network is stable before
turning the Panda server back on.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)