[Videoconferencing] Transition from EVO to Seevogh Research Network, January 8th

Andrew Daviel advax at triumf.ca
Thu Jan 3 18:48:38 PST 2013

As many of you have probably heard, the "free" EVO videoconferencing
service is being replaced by a "not free" version called SeeVogh.
I had been asked to hold off on this announcement until we knew more, and
besides, not all the details were known. They still aren't.

Basically, CERN decided to stop funding EVO and instead partner with the
commercial service Vidyo (https://vidyoportal.cern.ch/, http://www.vidyo.com/).
The EVO maintainers then decided to take EVO commercial, and created a
company "Evogh, Inc." to do so. EVO is splitting into two - a commercial
cloud-based service on https://seevogh.com/, and the original research
community service on http://research.seevogh.com/, using the EVO Panda
servers and audio gateways (including the ones at TRIUMF).

Sometime soon (Monday Jan 7th, maybe) the open "Universe" community will
go away. Only funded communities will remain. Only authorized users will
be able to create meetings. TRIUMF has agreed to fund the existing
"TRIUMF" community. Some experiments such as T2K have also funded
communities.

Each meeting can support up to 5 guests, who need not be community
members. So once a meeting is started, anyone can be invited - there is no
need for individual users to seek funding.

The EVO client (Koala) is being replaced by a new SeeVogh client, launched
from http://research.seevogh.com/. The existing Koala (launched from
http://evo.vrvs.org/evoGate/) will continue to work on the research
network until "at least" June 2013.

In theory, anything that can run EVO can run Seevogh (Java required). As I
write, there is an issue with the video capture on the room systems at
TRIUMF, but hopefully that will be resolved.

See http://research.seevogh.com/faq-transition2013.html

Authentication for the TRIUMF community (to be used
only for TRIUMF-related conferences) will initially be by a shared
password. More details will be available later.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)