[Videoconferencing] FYI - ECS video bridging service to close Sept 2014

Andrew Daviel advax at triumf.ca
Mon Mar 31 23:32:11 PDT 2014

The ECS video bridge service, run by ESnet in the US, will close in
September.

We have used this service in the past to hold videoconference meetings for
e.g. the BNL 787 experiment by dialling 82787.

Most of our H323 endpoints - the LifeSize units in the boardroom and
auditorium, and Polycom units in other meeting rooms - are capable of
native multipoint. I.e. we can conference with up to 3 other sites at
once.

It is quite possible that no-one at TRIUMF will even notice this change.
We can still make point-to-point H323 calls dialling by ip address, we can
still bridge the LifeSize and Polycom sets to Vidyo or SeevoghRN.

What we will lose is our connection to GDS (global dialling system),
and the ability to conference with more than 4 sites at once, unless
another participant provides a bridge.

http://www.ecs.es.net/service-termination-info/service-termination-overview/

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada