[Videoconferencing] SeeVogh Research Network -- Update To Client

Andrew Daviel advax at triumf.ca
Thu May 22 19:26:19 PDT 2014

SeeVogh recently announced an update to the SeeVoghRN client, which is
based on Java.

Historically, the client loaded and updated itself using Java Web Start,
so you had to have Java installed, and would normally use a web browser
to access JWS. Last year, Safari stopped JWS launching automatically,
which made the browser-based approach more annoying.

The SeeVoghRN website used to automatically launch JWS. As of today, it no
longer does so, but there is a link "Join meeting using Java Web Start" which will
still work, at least for now.
(The old EVO from http://evo.caltech.edu/evoGate/ still works, too.)

The new application bundles Java Runtime and must be started as an
desktop application, not from the browser.
In Linux there is a command "SeeVoghRN" and also in Gnome it seems a start
menu item under "Other".
On other platforms, probably a start menu item and possibly a desktop
icon.

So far, I have installed the application in ISAC2_222

(there is an Android app, too, which when I tried required a meeting
number rather than letting you browse)

Andrew Daviel