[Videoconferencing] Migrating room videoconference systems to Windows

Andrew Daviel advax at triumf.ca
Fri Nov 25 18:37:41 PST 2016

I am considering replacing the Linux meeting room systems with Windows
ones as they are upgraded, in the hope of supporting a wider range of
videoconferencing solutions. E.g. Vidyo, Skype.

(I think that since we started with VRVS in 2001, that Windows has
become secure and stable enough for sustained use by multiple users with
little hands-on maintenance ... I hope. The machines would be run as now
with no user administrative access.)

One candidate for upgrade is MOB-pc.av in the main conference room,
which is still a 32-bit machine.

Does anyone have any objections to this course of action ?

I believe the basic functionality can remain the same, with SeeVoghRN
(now eZuce SRN), Firefox, Adobe Reader, and adding Microsoft Office.
I don't think anyone uses other native Linux applications, while I think
Xwin32 could be installed to provide X11 capability if required.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada