[Videoconferencing] Changes to TRIUMF eZuceSRN/SeeVoghRN service

John Behr behr at triumf.ca
Mon Oct 29 15:44:37 PDT 2018

  I will happily add that TRINAT and FrPNC (mostly AMO physicists) once
the client is installed have used eZuce for awhile with few problems.
Mostly Mac and Linux users, I guess. But problems have flared up lately.
Agreed the client reinstallation happens with annoying frequency, and the
initial learning curve is steep. [You will solve most trivial installation
complaints by following the first instruction and using the research
network version...]
The latest version of eZuce causes installation problems for the latest
version of Mac because of default device permissions on the Mac.
>From this conversation (which I'm finding pretty depressing, actually), I
will probably fight through the re-registration and try Vibe.

Gerald Gwinner (Mac) indeed noticed I (Ubuntu18) would be on a web-based
thing for Vidyo if he switches to that, anticipating Art's reported
dissatisfaction.

So I guess I'm siding with Art, until I hear something I can try with
Linux. I hope I don't have to revert to Skype if Vibe is tossed, but it
does sound like I'll end up defaulting to my laptop and Chat150 USB
speakerphone for my meetings for a long time to come, as I'm doing now.
[p.s. In some desperation I used that hardware in the auditorium for an
ISAC Science Forum... worked fine both ways even with one question
from the back row :)]

Agreed I'm not going to bug
someone else's admin asst for 2 meetings a week (since they frequently get
their times adjusted by people's lives).

cheers,
John